Private Security Certified Shotgun Instructor (Certification/Recertification)
This course series is designed for Private Security and Bail Bond Firearms Instructors. It will introduce participants to contemporary techniques & theories for firearms instruction. Course topics will include:
- Instructor manual review
- Deployment and manipulation exercises
- Marksmanship qualification
Participants will receive Instructor Certification upon successful completion of the course.
The initial certification course is required for all Private Security and Bail Bond employees seeking firearms certification to become instructors. Afterwards, instructors can maintain their instructor certification by attending the recertification course every three years.
Applicant must have successfully completed Course 2322 – PS Handgun Instructor
Participants will take a shooting qualification test and a manipulative skills test on the first day of class. A passing score on both tests is required to complete the class. Participants that do not pass will be removed from the class. We strongly suggest students practice before attending the course to ensure a passing score.
Review all forms under "Required Forms" for more information on testing requirements.
Who can attend our classes?These clases are available to individuals who currently are employed by security companies and/or law enforcement agencies.
- Agency-issued/approved shotgun pump or semi-auto, with sling and side saddle or other spare ammunition storage device capable of being attached to the weapon. All applicants should bring a duplicate spare shotgun.
- Duty handgun and Patrol duty belt with minimum of 3 magazines
- Eye protection (including clear glasses for night firing)
- Hearing protection - electronic headphones and earplugs
- Copy of your agency's firearms policies
- One duty flashlight and one backup
- Weapon cleaning equipment
- BDU type pants with cargo pockets
- Baseball cap
- Body armor
- Rain poncho/parka
- Water bottle
- Knee pads
- Elbow pads
Required ammunition for recertification course
- 10 dummy shotgun rounds
- 250 rounds of 00 Buckshot (reduced recoil recommended for pumps)
- 100 slug rounds
- 50 rounds of practice ammo for duty pistol
Visitors attending training at the WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus.
Visitors not wearing agency identification can attend classes in business casual attire. They will need to check in at the front desk and wear a clip-on visitor's identification card.
The WSCJTC is mandated to issue Firearms Instructor Certification per WAC 139-37-005.
Please note: Applicants will be subject to a background check.
Follow this link to view scheduled PS Instructor Courses held at WSCJTC.
- Click on “Filters” type
- Click on “Program;” choose “PS/PI/BBRA (ATD-PS/PI/BBRA)” and then Apply.
To register for this course, applicants will need to submit the following forms:
- CJTC 732 – PSPI Instructor Course Application
- List of instructor credentials or copy of certificates for all courses- list name of credential, date of credentialing and the state in which it was received.
- Letter of interest for the course
- If employed by a company, please provide the owner's contact information.
Applications packets are accepted on a first come, first served basis, and must be uploaded to the PSPI Document Drop Box. Incomplete application packets or packets missing signatures may not be processed.
Classes will be cancelled if enrollment is low. To ensure the class is not cancelled, please submit your application materials in as far advance as possible. Fees are non-refundable.