Federal Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act

Staff works a combination of in-office and remotely, please give plenty of time when submitting your application. The preferred method of correspondence is by email at  pspi@cjtc.wa.gov.

The Federal Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act (LEOSA - 18USC926C) authorizes retired and separated law enforcement officers nationwide to carry concealed weapons throughout the country.

Please follow the link if you would like to view the Washington State LEOSA Law


Eligibility Requirements

To qualify & be eligible for LEOSA in Washington State, applicants must meet the following requirements:

  1. Be retired or separated in good standing as a law enforcement officer for reasons other than mental instability.
  2. Prior to retirement, be authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for any violation of the law.
  3. Prior to retirement, have had statutory powers of arrest.
  4. Have served at least 10 years as a law enforcement officer.
  5. Not be prohibited by federal law from possessing a firearm.
  6. Do not need to have worked in Washington State, but must be a current resident & provide proof of residency (i.e. Washington State Photo ID).
  7. Military Police in the U.S. Armed Forces that had statutory powers of arrest or apprehension authority, and Civilian Police Officers that worked for the Department of Defense are also eligible.

To read more about LEOSA and who is eligible please visit the  Washington Association of Sheriffs and Police Chiefs (WASPC) website.

If you were a member of the Army, Navy, and U.S. Air Force, they conduct their own LEOSA qualifications, please follow this link.

Certification Process through the WSCJTC

To apply for LEOSA certification through the WSCJTC, applicants must have a complete application packet, fee, and supporting documents.  Applicants must also obtain handgun qualification. There are three (3) options to obtain qualification.

  1. Attend a LEOSA Concealed Carry Qualification to obtain qualification through the WSCJTC using our certified instructors.  On your application you can specify a date that you wish to attend the course.
  2. Contact your local police department and find out if they conduct LEOSA certifications. **If an active law enforcement range master is used to administer the handgun test, they must have an active WSCJTC Handgun Instructor Level I or II instructor status within the last 3 years.
  3. Select a certified instructor from our Instructor Directory (Last updated May 2021) and have them administer the handgun qualification (costs may vary).  Instructors not on this list must have a current handgun instructor Level I or II certification through the WSCJTC.

Please note:  If an applicant uses a handgun test administrator who does not meet the Handgun Instructor Level certification requirements, we will NOT process the LEOSA application.  Please be sure to review requirements listed above.

If applicants complete their handgun qualification offsite (options 2 and 3 listed above) they must mail in the application, supporting documents, applicable fee and firearms qualification forms together.

Once applicants have submitted a complete application packet and obtained handgun qualification, they will be issued a basic LEOSA certificate until an ID card is mailed.  The card is valid for one year.  To maintain certification, it must be renewed each year.

Follow this link to view course information and scheduled LEOSA qualifications held at WSCJTC.

Important Information


Depending on the type of application you are submitting, there are four different fees.

  1. For a new applicant completing their qualification at the WSCJTC Range, the fee is $100.
  2. For a renewal applicant completing their qualification at the WSCJTC Range, the fee is $50.
  3. For new applicant completing their qualification not at the WSCJTC Range, the fee is $50.
  4. For a renewal applicant completing their qualification not at the WSCJTC Range, the fee is $25.

For those completing the handgun qualification at the WSCJTC Range

The WSCJTC is required by Labor & Industries that all persons on the WSCJTC range must have a ballistic vest. If you do not have one WSCJTC cannot provide one for you and you will not be able to do a LEOSA qualification at our facility. You are responsible for all personal protective equipment and ensuring its integrity.

If you are unable to obtain a ballistic vest for a LEOSA qualification at the WSCJTC, you can contact a Private Security Certified Firearms Instructor using the Instructor Directory to set up a LEOSA qualification outside of WSCJTC. Please note, public ranges are starting to require ballistic vests, so verifying equipment requirements with the instructor is the responsibility of the individual.

Uniform stores carry ballistic vests and those include, but are not limited to: LEEDS, Blumenthal’s, Bud’s Police Supply, San Diego Police Supply, etc.  WSCJTC does not endorse one specific supplier.

Application Materials and Forms

When initially applying for LEOSA certification through WSCJTC, the following documents must be included:

  1. A copy of your Washington State Driver's License or ID Card.
  2. A front and back copy of your retired ID from your previous Law Enforcement Agency.
  3. If you do not have a retired ID, we require a formal letter from your previous agency stating that you meet the requirements for LEOSA. You can find a template below.
  4. A passport style photo.

Please use the forms below to apply for LEOSA Certification through WSCJTC.  There is now an initial application and renewal application to choose from.  For a Microsoft Word version of the form you need, please click here.

LEOSA Initial Application

LEOSA Renewal Application

LEOSA Range Qualification Sheet

LEOSA Qualification Log Sheet Template

LEOSA ACH Payment Instructions

Use this letter template only if you do not have an agency ID or credential from your former agency. This document is only intended as an example; your former agency may already have a designated letter for this purpose.

How to Submit forms and payment:

Applications may now be uploaded directly to us via the links below; if you submit via the link, do not mail us hard copies.

You are not required to use the Drop Box, it is simply a new alternative; you may still mail the application and payment to WSCJTC.

Applications submitted through Drop Box must be in a a PDF format and may be uploaded to:

New – PSPI Document Drop Box Link: SUBMIT HERE

Note: Payment must be sent separately to the address below. Ensure you provide the name and type of application with the payment.



PO Box 40905

Olympia, WA 98504-0905


If you would like to use ACH/Wire Transfer, click here for instructions. 

Former Employer Letter Template

Use this letter template only if you do not have an agency ID or credential from your former agency. This document is only intended as an example; your former agency may already have a designated letter for this purpose.

LEOSA Agency Letterhead Template 4

Additional Information and Links

The agency you are retired from may do their own LEOSA Certification.  They will issue the documentation showing you are LEOSA Certified.  You are not required to obtain your LEOSA through the WSCJTC, it is optional.

You must prepay for your LEOSA qualification, send in your fee with your application.  Cash, Check, or Money Orders are accepted. If you pay by check, please make checks payable to the WSCJTC.  Please do not bring your fee with you when you qualify, it cannot be accepted, and you will not be allowed to participate.

PLEASE NOTE: Per RCW, the WSCJTC can choose to issue a LEOSA card or not.  We will issue LEOSA ID card if you use an active Private Security Certified Firearms Instructor from our directory or an active Law Enforcement instructor/Range Master who has had WSCJTC Firearms Handgun Instructor Level I or above training within the past 3 years.  If they have not had this specific training, application packets will not be processed and a LEOSA card will not be issued.

If you still cannot find what you are looking for, feel free to email us at pspi@cjtc.wa.gov.



Question Answer

I am retired/separated from the Military Police in the U.S. Armed Forces; is there a cost reduction of any kind for armed service members?


Is the exemption provided by LEOSA absolute – can I now carry anywhere and at any time?

No. When carrying in a particular state you are subject to their LEOSA and concealed carry laws. LEOSA does not exempt individuals from federal laws or regulations that restrict the carrying of firearms onto aircraft or other common carriers, or on the premises of federal buildings, property, or national parks. As well, LEOSA does not exempt an individual from state laws that allow persons to prohibit firearms on private or public property. We recommend that you consult an attorney if you have questions concerning the interpretation of these restrictions.

I am up for renewal but can’t make it to one of the scheduled LEOSA qualifications before I expire. What now?

If your LEOSA card is expired, you cannot carry a firearm. You must renew and re-qualify in order to legally carry a firearm under LEOSA.

Who conducts the WSCJTC LEOSA range qualifications?

The qualifications done at the WSCJTC Range are done by a certified firearms instructor that has successfully completed a WSCJTC Handgun Instructor Level I or above class within the past three years. Qualifications at off-campus ranges are done by a WSCJTC Private Security Certified Firearms Instructor pursuant to  WAC 139-37 and are currently active instructors with the WSCJTC.

I live in another state half the year but have a home in Washington State. Do I need to apply for LEOSA through the other state or in Washington?

Your primary residence must be Washington and you must possess a Washington State driver’s license or ID card in order to be LEOSA certified in Washington State. If your license or ID card is through another state you must apply for LEOSA certification there.

When do I have to pay the fee?

You must send in your fee along with your application. Payment must be received before you will be scheduled to shoot at the range. Checks must be made payable to the WSCJTC. Cash and Money Orders are accepted. If you show up at the range with your fee it cannot be accepted or processed and you will not be allowed to participate. 

Can I use my LEOSA certification to work as a private sector armed professional?


I was a military police officer or Department of Defense police officer, am I eligible for LEOSA?

Yes, as long as you meet LEOSA certification requirements. If you apply we need a copy of your DD214 and a military photo identification card or other proof that you had arrest/apprehension powers as part of your job. You must have a minimum of 10 years service as a an MP or police officer. If you were a member of the U.S. Air Force, they conduct their own LEOSA qualifications.

What is the application deadline for the range dates on your schedule?

There is no cut-off date to apply as long as we receive your application and fee in advance of the day of the qualification so we can schedule you.

I am a retired corrections officer that was licensed to carry a firearm on-duty, is there any kind of waiver so I don’t have to qualify at the range to get my LEOSA certificate?

No, the statute applies to commissioned law enforcement officers and military police.

I want to apply for LEOSA certification; can I just show up at the range with my application?

No, you must apply in advance and prepay the fee in order to be scheduled for the range. If you show up without having applied or prepaid the fee you will not be allowed to participate.