Handgun Instructor Level 1
The 80-hour Level I Handgun Instructor Course is directed toward law enforcement personnel who have a desire to become firearms instructors. It is intended to develop the necessary instructor competencies required to provide safe and effective firearms training. During this course participants will focus exclusively and intensely on the handgun while they work to develop instructor competencies.
This course will also be recognized as a Handgun Instructor Course. As an instructor course it is expected that participants will have above average handgun manipulation and marksmanship ability. Participants are expected to invest time outside of class preparing lesson plans, presentations and range drills.
Available Sessions are located in the ACADIS List of Available Training. To see those sessions and for registration, please follow this link – Available Training.
Once on this training page, locate the “FILTERS” button at the top right-hand side of the page.
In the “Keyword” Field, type –2011 and then hit the APPLY button.
All available sessions will be displayed. For more information on each session, click the individual session.
Contact your agency ACADIS training manager to register.
A passing score of 90% on the entrance and manipulation skills shooting test is required. Both tests will be conducted on day one of the course. To review the requirements, see our Entry Level Test and Manipulation Skills Entry forms.
Failure of the entry qualification, (Less than 90% or 450 out of 500 pts) will result in the student being released from the course. Fees will not be waived.
Who can attend our classes?
Class is open to active law enforcement officers who desire to become firearms instructors. As an instructor course, it is expected that participants will have above average handgun manipulation and marksmanship ability.
- Revolver of choice (preferred 38 or 357 cal)
- Revolver related equipment (holster, speed loaders or similar devices)
- Duty handgun and Patrol duty belt with a minimum of 3 magazines. All applicants should consider bringing a duplicate spare duty pistol.
- Inert training pistol to fit your duty holster (red or blue gun)
- Off duty and concealed carry
- Two duty flashlights, or one duty flashlight and one backup
- Eye protection (including clear glasses for night firing)
- Hearing protection – electronic headphones and earplugs
- Review and be ready to discuss your agency’s firearms policies (will be comparing agencies policy to current law)
- Weapon cleaning equipment
- Body armor
- Baseball hat
Required ammunition (responsibility of applicant's agency):
- 2000 rounds primary handgun (clean fire required in Burien)
- 100 rounds off duty and concealed weapon ammo
- A minimum of 20 inert training (Dummy) rounds for your duty pistol. Metal casing with plastic tips bullets preferred. Instructors prefer no plastic dummy rounds for this course.
- 250 rounds (Revolver)
Students are responsible for reviewing the content of the Sport Skills Instruction book below. Come prepared to discuss the first 5 chapters of the book. (The final chapters will be discussed in Level II). The book can be purchased from the link below or used from a variety of sources. (Amazon, Ebay, etc.).
- Sport Skill Instructions for Coaches
- Author Craig A. Wrisberg
- ISBN: 9780736039871
A handout directing the discussion is linked below. It is to be turned in at the end of the first week with completed answers.
Students attending should wear range appropriate clothing, and come prepared for all weather conditions. Agency Identification will be required.
RegulationAfter successful completion, students will receive a CJTC Handgun Instructor certification that will be valid for 3 years; to maintain the instructor certification, students must complete a Recertification Course within 3 years.
Class hours are 0800-1700, Monday – Friday, with the exception of State and Federal Holidays.
To cancel registration, send email to email@example.com . Cancellations must be received at least 14 days prior to class.