This 40 hour pre-supervisors course is designed to acquaint the prospective supervisor with an awareness of the demands and functions of the world of supervision. All too often, the newly appointed supervisor subsequently find themselves immersed in a world they didn’t anticipate and/or doesn’t understand. The transition from effective line worker to effective supervisor is difficult and challenging. This course seeks to remedy the process by ensuring:
- Participants are confronted with a variety of ‘real life’ supervisory scenarios.
- Participants can identify the systemic functions of supervision, rather than developing specific supervisory skills the participant may or may not use dependent upon promotional opportunities or personal incentive.
- It promotes an understanding of the role of the supervisor, an awareness of what the student brings to the position, and what that 'fit' looks like.
- It provides both the student and the organization a realistic framework from which to decide if this is a direction they wish to pursue.
Participants will develop an awareness of:
- The ‘world’ of the supervisor both in terms of its ‘challenges’ and ‘opportunities’.
- Their personal assets and liabilities as they relate to supervision.
- The systemic forces that often fragment organizations and work units, and create internal conflict.
- An understanding of the challenges the first line supervisor faces in creating ‘organizational partnership’ at all levels.
- How to create an agency culture that promotes and enhances teamwork and collaboration.
- The role of ‘conflict’ in an organization and how it can help or hinder in moving toward mission accomplishment.
- Their 'Emotional Intelligence' and how it applies to the world of supervision.
To register for the course, contact your Training Manager to assign the training to you via Acadis.
(206) 255- 5468
Who can attend our classes?
Class is only open to active corrections officers, law enforcement officers and other public safety personnel.
Visitors attending training at the WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus.
Visitors not wearing agency identification can attend classes in business casual attire. They will need check in at the front desk and wear a clip-on visitor's identification card.
The Training Catalog in Acadis reflects current courses offered by Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission. For each course, you may view a list of available training and request enrollment for any future events. Click here to view the catalog.
Deadline to cancel is 7 days prior to class. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to cancel your registration.
$300 no show or late cancellation fee.