This 40 hour pre-supervisors course is designed to acquaint the prospective supervisor with an awareness of the demands and functions of the world of supervision. All too often, the newly appointed supervisor subsequently find themselves immersed in a world they didn’t anticipate and/or doesn’t understand. The transition from effective line worker to effective supervisor is difficult and challenging. This course seeks to remedy the process by ensuring:
- Participants are confronted with a variety of ‘real life’ supervisory scenarios.
- Participants can identify the systemic functions of supervision, rather than developing specific supervisory skills the participant may or may not use dependent upon promotional opportunities or personal incentive.
- It promotes an understanding of the role of the supervisor, an awareness of what the student brings to the position, and what that 'fit' looks like.
- It provides both the student and the organization a realistic framework from which to decide if this is a direction they wish to pursue.
Participants will develop an awareness of:
- The ‘world’ of the supervisor both in terms of its ‘challenges’ and ‘opportunities’.
- Their personal assets and liabilities as they relate to supervision.
- The systemic forces that often fragment organizations and work units, and create internal conflict.
- An understanding of the challenges the first line supervisor faces in creating ‘organizational partnership’ at all levels.
- How to create an agency culture that promotes and enhances teamwork and collaboration.
- The role of ‘conflict’ in an organization and how it can help or hinder in moving toward mission accomplishment.
- Their 'Emotional Intelligence' and how it applies to the world of supervision.
To register for the course, contact your Training Manager to assign the training to you via Acadis.
Upcoming classes are listed below. Registration does not guarantee acceptance into the class. Selections will be completed four weeks prior to the class; those accepted into the class will receive a notification at that time.
If classes are full, or not available, please complete the Course Interest Survey. This is not a waiting list, but instead helps us see if there is enough interest to create another class. If we schedule a session, we will contact everyone who has completed the survey and request that registration be completed.
(206) 255- 5468
Who can attend our classes?
Class is only open to active corrections officers, law enforcement officers and other public safety personnel.
The following readings and assignments must be completed prior to the start of class.
Visitors attending training at the WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus.
Visitors not wearing agency identification can attend classes in business casual attire. They will need check in at the front desk and wear a clip-on visitor's identification card.
Class will be held 0800 - 1700 Monday through Friday.
Dates and location will vary by session.
Deadline to cancel is 7 days prior to class. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to cancel your registration.
$300 no show or late cancellation fee.
Registration is preferred through the Acadis system. If a paper application is needed, please complete the form below and email to email@example.com for processing.
|Session||Session Title||Dates & Hours||Location||Status||Cost|
|4124-6||Pre-Supervisors||5/1/2023 - 5/5/2023
0800 - 1700
|4124-7||Pre-Supervisors||8/21/2023 - 8/25/2023
0800 - 1700
|4124-8||Pre-Supervisors||10/2/2023 - 10/6/2023
0800 - 1700